Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sick and surly

Visiting relatives from Chennai have helpfully gifted me the flu. Complete with sore throat,fever and sinus headache which has made me very very cranky. It's strange to me how I seem to handle bigger ailments with equanimity...dignity even but when I get a cold im a snarling, nasty monster.
Im channeling all my snarliness into a makeshift soapbox on which I will stand and scream (ok whisper) and rant and rave about things that are pissing me off currently.

- The way the media carries stories of handicapped people. Saw this thing on TV where this man has started an organisation for blind people to meet and get married. Honourable is what the news reporter tried to paint it as. Really???? Blind people, deaf people, lame people are...hold your breath now....PEOPLE. Why do we marginalize them to such an extent that we think that they should stick with their own kind? so we can pat ourselves on the back for magnanimously helping them? I really want to know if the marriage bereau guy who is not blind is married to a blind person? That is true acceptance.
There's a very small NGO here in Bangalore called 'Margadashi' that is run by three women afflicted by polio. They help provide vocational education and life partners for similarly afflicted women. "Real lives in the Real world." When are we going to start seeing Indian versions of Lance Armstrong? Hero's that are as mainstream as Shah Rukh Khan? That can sell you a car, be loaded and get the pretty girl/boy in the end?

-A Peepal tree planted by a Bhramin in Tamil Nadu married a Neem tree in an elaborate wedding ceremony yesterday. The Peepal tree is also Bhramin and the blushing bride a Neem tree (apparently female according to a mention in the scriptures) belongs to the same caste. Er...Mazltov?

-86% of Indian men consider fair women more virtuous than dusky women. Interestingly roughly the same numbers consider dusky women more sexually appealing than their fairer counterparts. Thats my latest argument for not putting out to every dweeb i meet. Im also using fair and lovely so in14 days i can become noticeably fairer and ensure a ticket to heaven. Hahaha

-Im 27 and I look about 23 according to everyone I know. This is relevant when I get disapproving stares from aunty/uncle types if im holding a drink or a ciggarette in my hand. Im 27 dammit! I've earned my vices.

-Mango clothes go out of shape after their first wash. Outrageous I tell you considering how bloody expensive they are.

-People come over to visit me or stay in my house and expect me to chain up my dog (see tofu pics in this blog). How dare you? He lives here. You don't. Suck it up! If you're scared of him ( he's a labrador!!!! They're the tamest breed there is) don't come to my house. It had to be said.

I promise my next post will be all sweetness and sunshine...really:)

No comments: